My Online Presence

I was lucky enough to grow up with a very strict dad who never allowed any foul language on social media. I specifically remember one day in high school, I retweeted, "Can't walk up the stairs... #soreaf". My dad yelled at me and made me delete the retweet because it had "af" in it.

From there, I came to High Point University to play Division I lacrosse. The rules here are even more rigid than those from my dad. My team has extremely strict rules about what we can and cannot post.

No bottles, red cups, bottle caps, alcohol logos, provocative clothing, cursing, etc. Even if there is someone in the background of a picture that I have never met who is holding a bottle, I wouldn't be allowed to post that picture.

A girl on my team posted a picture with her sister on Instagram a couple weeks ago, and her sister was holding a Red Bull. Our coach told her to delete the post because it looked "sketchy."

All of this considered, I have a very clean presence on the internet; however, that doesn't mean that I have a small presence. Because I've been an athlete my entire life, there are dozens of pictures of me online playing sports. Actions shots of lacrosse, basketball, and soccer, along with articles my name has been in, interviews, or box scores. If you look up my name, you will 100% see pictures of me.

In addition, I have multiple social media accounts that create a larger presence for me. You will be able to find my Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter accounts if you search my name.

When searching my name, "Sabrina Schrader," the below webpage will come up.

Four out of the five pictures are of myself, and three out of the two links are about myself.

From these search results, someone could pretty much figure out the basics about me. I am a junior and lacrosse player at High Point University, and they would know what I look like. Other than that basic profile, I don't believe there is much else someone could figure out about me.

Overall, the amount of information about me on the internet and the kind of content there doesn't bother me. I feel confident about my internet presence.

Lastly, I want to touch on the question presented by The Atlantic article, "Social Media is Redefining Depression." The questioned if asked if I think social media makes people depressed, lonely, or isolated. I believe the answer to be very obvious...

Yes.

There is absolutely no doubt that social media can lead to depression and loneliness especially in young girls and boys. Young teens put their worth into the amount of likes they get which in reality, means nothing. This can lead to extreme sadness and loneliness when people don't get the amount of likes they were hoping for.

I think this feeling fades with maturity and age, thankfully. I feel like I am past those feelings; however, I am always watching out for my little sister.

To anyone reading this, put your worth into who you are as a person and how you affect the people around.

You are beautiful, and no "Like" button can tell you otherwise.

Comments